GED® / ABE
About the GED® Test:
The GED® Test is a timed test delivered on the computer. There are four subject areas:
- Reasoning Through Language Arts – 150 minutes (including 10-minute break before the writing)
- Mathematical Reasoning – 115 minutes (calculator available for most of the test – there are a few questions at the beginning where the calculator is not allowed)
- Science – 90 minutes
- Social Studies – 70 minutes
Registering for the GED® Test
- Create an account at GED.com
- Take and pass all four Official GED Practice Tests™ (there is a fee unless you are in our GED® Preparation program).
- Proof of identification and CT residency
- Complete an application in our Branford High School Office at 185 East Main Street between 3:30 and 8:00 PM
GED® Preparation Class Eligibility Requirements
- Minimum score of a 236 on the CASAS Goals Reading Test during intake
- Minimum score of a 230 on the CASAS Goals Math Test during intake
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)/Pre-GED® Instruction is also available
About Adult Basic Education (ABE)/Pre-GED®
- Basic reading, writing and/or math instruction for those adults who need a refresher prior to working in a high school completion program
- Instruction is based on individual student needs and is a combination of online and teacher-directed activities
- Academic and career counseling is included in the program
Class Times and Locations for GED® Preparation & ABE/Pre-GED®
All classes will begin online and may transition to in-person classes based on guidance from the local school district and the State Department of Education.
How to Register
Must be 17 years or older.
Classes are free to residents of Branford, Clinton, Guilford and North Branford.
Individuals outside of our four-town region who require tutoring or ABE instruction may register for our program for a small non-refundable fee of $50 per semester/$75 per year if space in the classroom is available.
If you would like more information about our high school diploma programs, call our office at 203-488-5693 or email us.